Check out the Roundtable Roundup at Garnet and Black Attack
Well, the Power Poll for last week came out, well, last week. In addition to voting on who is king of the SEC each week, we the voters also get a chance to discuss matters via the SEC Power Poll Roundtable.
As you might expect, here I am posting my thoughts almost a full week late!! Nonetheless, here they are.My meaningless thoughts for the (last) week:
1. Pretend for a minute that Vanderbilt wasn't 2-0, then answer this question: What has been the most surprising thing in the SEC so far this season?For me it would probably be that Bobby Petrino is still coaching Arkansas, and hasn't taken a job coaching the Illinois Penal League Football Program... Other than that, it would be the lack of offensive consistency for several of the SEC teams including: the Florida Gators, Alabama Crimson Tide, Auburn Tigers, and the Tennessee Volunteers. Of course there have differing degrees of suck when it comes to offense -- as to which teams are doing better than others, well ... on the advice of counsel I am going to decline to answer.
2. Conference action has either just begun for most teams, or will Sept. 20. (The exception is Kentucky, which I believe plays I-AA teams until mid-November.) From what you've seen so far, how will your team fare in your division? If it's not going to win, which team will?
Wow, you're really trying to box me in here, aren't you. Prior to the season, I picked Tennessee to finish second in the SEC East. Now, however, I have no idea what to expect. I'm just so frustrated over what I saw on offense versus UCLA, but don't know if that is really a fair estimate of the team's ability and whether they will turn this season into something worth remembering. I firmly believe that the 2008 Vols have what it takes to be a really great team, I just don't know if they will manage to make it happen.
Thus, I suppose I will simply say that I think the Vols will finish above Arkansas ... maybe.
As for who will win the SEC, I have no idea, the Championship Game can produce some unexpected results. I will, however say that I think the Auburn Tigers will win the SEC West, and that the SEC East Florida's to lose.
3. Which SEC player that few of us are paying attention to is poised to have a breakout season? Try to choose someone not on your team.
It's really a little early for me to know what is just pre-conference schedule stat padding and what is for real. Bearing that in mind, I really like what I have seen so far from D.J. Moore of the Vanderbilt Commodores. Why? 206 yards on seven carries versus Rice. I think that is defensible.
4. Both Arkansas and LSU have had games delayed because of hurricanes. If you could choose a game on your team's current schedule to get postponed because of inclement weather, which game would you choose and why?
I'd choose the 20 September game against the Florida Gators game mainly because Tennessee usually starts slowly (and this year is obviously no exception) while Florida is usually blazing out of the gates. As we saw in 2001, when Tennessee gets a chance to develop it's team chemistry, they usually come together to finish strong ... usually.
Thus, if I could postpone any game, I'd delay playing the Gators until November ... or maybe even 2021.
5. So, the Large Haldron Collider hasn't destroyed the Earth -- so far, anyway. But had the world ended Wednesday morning, which SEC game would you have most regretted missing? Assuming, of course, you had been around to regret it. (Head...hurts...)
Well, for me, it all still comes down to the Third Saturday in October, for me that is always the biggest game in Big Orange Country as the Vols do battle with the Alabama Crimson Tide. Of course, that is a homer choice.
Ignoring my extreme bias in favor of games which include the Vols, I'd have to say the Georgia vs. Florida game looks like it could be one hell of a good game this year. I'll be watching ... that is unless that whole destruction of the earth thing comes true...
The Rest of the Power Poll
Now that you have wasted your time reading my thought, go check out what everybody else is saying over at Garnet and Black Attack (links are in the comments).
Leave a Reply
Additional comments powered by BackType